Everyone loves fried eggplant, but this recipe of mine takes it a step further by adding in fresh slices of mozzarella cheese. I call this recipe Fried Eggplant and Mozzarella Stacks and you’ll see why.
This beautiful Italian recipe uses slices of mozzarella sandwiched between layers of fried eggplant topped with fresh marinara sauce.
Do you have to really fry the eggplant?
I fried the eggplant just like I do as if making regular eggplant cutlets, however, I made a few minor changes which I talk about below.
Then I add the mozzarella and top it with a simple Italian tomato sauce and some fresh basil. If you don’t have the sauce, frankly you can skip it and put some tomato slices on the side or even in between.
There is no right or wrong way, as long as it tastes good.
Why Mozzarella Cheese with Eggplant?
Mozzarella and fried eggplant go well with each other. Mozzarella and tomato go well, and eggplant and tomato go well, and mozzarella and basil or tomato and basil go well, so no matter how you slice it (pun intended) it all goes well with each other!
For this recipe you will want to use fresh mozzarella. The processed blocked of mozzarella may be fine for cheese and crackers but not for this! Use fresh – the kind that is either sealed or packed in water.
This makes a great lunch, snack or appetizer, especially during the summer when eggplant is in season. Serve with a delicious healthy caprese salad!
In regards to the tomato sauce, I just use my own Italian pasta sauce which is meatless. I don’t recommend using a heavy sauce – you know the versions with the three different meats, and tons of spices.
You want to keep it simple and not have the sauce overpower the dish.
Fried Eggplant and Mozzarella Stacks
- 1 eggplant slicked into 1/2″ slices
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella cut into 1/4″ slices
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Fresh marinara sauce
- In large frying pan, heat 1/2 cup olive oil over medium heat heat.
- Meanwhile, dip eggplant slices in the flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.
- Place slices in hot oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes until light golden brown.
- Turn eggplant slices over and fry for 1 minute longer.
- Remove from oil and let drain on some paper towels. Repeat until all eggplant slices are done.
- Once finished, position one slice of eggplant on the bottom, then add a slice of cheese, then another eggplant, then cheese and finish with a final slice on top.
- Top with the hot tomato sauce and garnish with some fresh basil.
- Eat and enjoy!