Thanks for visiting! This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my disclosure for more info.
Two wonderful vegetables which go well together are zucchini and tomatoes. You can use them in pasta recipes, in lasagnas, or even fry them in a pan of oil.
Today I tried a new recipe courtesy of my sister in law and after testing it, I decided it will make its way into my virtual recipe box which is available for anyone to see.
- Ok, so to get started, peel the zucchini and cut off the ends.
- Slice lengthwise.
- Place a layer of tomatoes on top of the zucchini as shown. You do not want the tomatoes to be too thick. I’d say about 1/8th or 1/4 inch should be fine. I’d recommend using Roma tomatoes and if your zucchini are pretty small and narrow, try grape or cherry tomatoes.
- Sprinkle plain bread crumbs on top of the tomatoes.
- Next, sprinkle a nice layer of Romano cheese.
- Drizzle olive oil over top with a dash of kosher salt.
- Next, place in a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 minutes.
- The zucchini will still be firm, but not raw. Serve warm.
When I made this today, I enjoyed them as they were, however my husband preferred his with some extra cheese added on. So I suggest to make it available.
In regards to serving sizes, I’d suggest 1 small zucchini per person. For medium zucchini sizes perhaps 1 per 2 people. It really depends on who you are serving and if they like this type of recipe, and of course if it is just a side dish.
I used this recipe as a side dish to my chickpea soup recipe.