Thanks for visiting! This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my disclosure for more info.
An Easy Pasta Recipe with Fresh Eggplant, Zucchini & Tomatoes!
Eggplant, Zucchini, and tomatoes with Pasta is truly one of my favorite Italian recipes, especially in the summer if you have the luxury of using fresh veggies from your garden. If you don’t, don’t worry about it, just pick some up at your local grocery store.
I’ve made this recipe during all seasons with great success! You can see my quick video below showing how easy it is to make!
Doesn’t Eggplant Take a Long Time to Prepare?
You can take the time to properly prep the eggplant. Sometimes I do and other times I don’t really care and chop it up and start cooking it over the stove right away.
This recipe is a quick one. You simply cook the eggplant cut up in cubes over the stove, along with the zucchini, garlic and olive oil. Cook the pasta, add a little sauce (or better yet add chopped tomatoes when you add the zucchini), mix together, add fresh basil and cheese and you’ll be in heaven!
Big tip here, don’t try to cut corners using frozen vegetables here. It produces a totally different result and I don’t recommend it at all.
The first time I had this recipe was at my mother in law’s house during the summer, and it was so simple to make and it tasted so amazing.
I had to get the recipe. I wanted to cook it just like she did!
While we were visiting on vacation, I was able to watch and learn and I made my own notes which I use today and am now sharing with you through this site and my newsletter.
I recommend adding a fresh green salad or Italian green beans with Garlic and olive oil. And of course, don’t forget the bread!
How Long Does this Pasta Recipe Take to Make?
Time frame – I’d allow about an hour total, most of which is unattended. What is great about this dish is that it is a one pot meal – meaning everything (except the pasta) can be cooked all in one pan.
The best kind of pan is one with deep sides. I love my Cusinart pan that we got from Amazon. It is worth every penny and cleans up very nicely. It’s 100% Stainless and cleans up wonderfully.
I hope this recipe goes over well in your kitchen – if you try it let me know.
Make sure to sign up for my newsletter for any future recipes, product reviews and videos!
Pasta with Eggplant, Zucchini & Tomatoes
- 1 eggplant chopped
- 2 medium zucchinis chopped
- 3 fresh tomatoes chopped You can use canned diced tomatoes
- 3 crushed or chopped garlic cloves
- 4 cups pasta sauce
- grated Romano cheese
- 3/4 lb pasta long or short is fine
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
Heat water in a medium sauce pan to start cooking the pasta.
Meanwhile in separate large frying pan heat olive oil over medium heat - one that has deep sides is best - you will need lots of room.
Add in the chopped eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes. Don't worry about adding water, they will soon release their liquid and you'll have steam.
After vegetables begin to cook down, add in the garlic. Stir and Cover.
Continue cooking the vegetables until heated through and a fork can easily pierce the eggplant.
After about 15-30 minutes or so, add in the cooked pasta, stir and blend well.
Add in the fresh basil and let cook for a few more minutes
Serve and sprinkle with grated Romano cheese.
- You can really do many things with this dish. You can add fresh basil which always goes well with zucchini.
- I suggest either ziti or long pasta. This is a dish where short or long pasta will be fine. Use whatever you have.
- This recipe will stay good in the fridge longer than most recipes. It will be good for up to 4 or 5 days.
- If you don't have fresh tomatoes, don't sweat it - I used diced as you will see in my video and it still tasted great.
- Zucchini - if you happen to get your hands on Italian White Zucchini (or pale green) it is awesome in this recipe b/c the flavor is a bit more mild and just adds a unique flavor.