Greens are so healthy for us all. The problem is most people don’t like to eat them! Learning how to cook beet leaves is super easy.
This is a simple recipe that may not be enjoyed by picky eaters, but is a great way to use beet leaves which would normally be left to the trash or compost bin.
The taste of beet leaves has a slight bitter taste which is fine because it is complimented by the olive oil and crushed garlic. It falls in the family of spinach, so don’t ever tell your kids. The recipe takes about 5-10 minutes start to finish.
I recommend adding water from time to time while cooking so that the leaves won’t accidentally stick to the pan. This isn’t a main meal, but rather a side dish or a quick snack.
You can serve alone or with some nice Italian bread!
Italian Style Sauteed Beet Greens Recipe
- 1 bunch beet leaves remove the stems
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- Wash beet leaves well and pat dry. Throw out any yellow colored leaves which indicate they are old and going bad.
- Crush garlic and saute in the olive oil for about 3 minutes over medium heat in pan. Do not let garlic burn!
- Add beet leaves to pan along with a little water to create steam and lower heat to low
- Stir frequently until leaves are wilted and soft.