This recipe is a great Italian recipe for a turkey and rice casserole.
It is very easy to make and a great way to use leftover Thanksgiving turkey meat. You can even freeze the casserole for later.
Chicken can also be substituted as well, but turkey is my favorite.
The recipe uses basic ingredients that you most likely already have on hand.
It does call for flat leaf Italian parsley, and if you can get it fresh at a store you should. The flavor of this particular type of parsley is perfect for this dish.
Yes you can use regular parsley but it won’t be exactly the same.
- 1 large onion chopped
- handful fresh chopped basil
- handful fresh chopped Italian parsley
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 TBLE butter
- 1 TBLE olive oil
- 2 turkey breasts chopped (precooked)
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups water or stock
- 10 oz sliced onions
- 1/2 – 1 cup Romano cheese
- Saute onion, basil, parsley and garlic with butter and olive over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Add in the brown rice, turkey and water or stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low medium and add mushrooms.
- Cook until rice is done.
- Add in 1/2 cup to 1 cup of grated Romano cheese.
- Mix and serve with extra cheese on top.