Here is a fun twist to our standard bruschetta recipe by using zucchini instead of bread slices. Creative, right? As you can see in the picture, in this recipe for zucchini bruschetta we swap out the hearty Italian bread with delicious flavorful fresh zucchini slices.
This recipe is perfect for a nice change of pace, those who are trying to cut back when possible on carbs (yours truly), vegans, vegetarians and anyone else willing to give it a try!
My Zucchini Bruschetta Recipe
Bruschetta is typically a mixture of fresh chopped/diced tomatoes tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper placed on top of some toasted Italian bread with a healthy drizzle of olive oil.
For my recipe, I make zucchini bruschetta by substituting the bread for slices of fresh zucchini. Simply layer the zucchini and tomatoes and you’re on your way to a fun little appetizer or side dish.
Unlike regular bruschetta that uses chopped tomatoes, I use slices of small tomatoes – campari. But you can dice the tomatoes and let them drain and serve on top.
When the bruschetta is assembled, we bake them in the oven just long enough so they are not mushy. Then top with some fresh basil and you’re in business!
This recipe is perfect for those looking for gluten-free healthy snacks. If you want the appetizers to be finger food, I recommend adding a slice of toasted bread underneath.
If you’re serving for meat-eaters too, I recommend adding an Italian antipasto platter as well.
Ingredients you’ll need for making zucchini bruschetta couldn’t be simpler. As far as quantities go, it depends on how much you want to make. A medium zucchini can produce about 25 slices. I’d recommend 5-6 slices per person.
- 1 medium zucchini sliced into 1/4″ rounds
- Tomato slices – campari are good size if you have them. You can also dice and drain the tomatoes to pile on top of the zucchini.
- Freshly chopped basil
- Extra virgin olive oil
However, in this Italian recipe we keep it simple… very simple. You can even see how easy it is by watching the quick video I prepared for you below. Take a listen and watch while we swap the bread out with some zucchini slices… along with some other necessary and practical adjustments.
Similar Zucchini Recipes
If you enjoy recipes with zucchini, check out these related posts!
Enjoy your fried zucchini whether you want them as rounds, ribbons or slices!
Enjoy pan-fried zucchini blossoms whether you want them as rounds, ribbons or slices!
Enjoy delicious zucchini with butter and garlic for a perfect side dish!
I hope you enjoy this fun recipe for zucchini bruschetta. Share your comments below and if you make any changes to make it your own!
Zucchini Bruschetta Recipe
- Fresh Zucchini
- Tomato slices campari are good size if you have them
- Bread Crumbs
- Fresh Basil
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Slice your zucchini into approximately 1/4 inch thick rounds and place in a baking dish
- Slice your tomatoes as well and cut to appropriate size to fit on top of zucchini rounds
- Place tomato slices on zucchini rounds
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs
- Drizzle olive oil over each piece so it is decently coated
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes until the breadcrumbs become crisp
- Remove from oven, top with fresh basil and serve.
Grazie e Ciao!