If you’re looking for ideas for some chicken cutlet sides, we’ve got no shortage of inspiration for you. No matter what the occasion, choosing side dishes that compliment yet do not overpower your cutlets is an important part of a well balanced meal.
Here are a few suggestions we’ve put together for you to help you with your meal planning. Many of these ideas are what we’ve used in our own meals, so let’s get started and get the creative juices flowing!
Vegetables as Chicken Cutlet Sides
Roasted or steamed vegetables are healthy and flavorful sides for chicken cutlets. Your guests will appreciate the healthy choices next to the fried main dish.
Choose vegetables that are in season and that can be easily purchased at the local store.
Here are three ways to serve the vegetables:
- Roast the vegetables in the oven
- Saute the sides on a stove in a saucepan
- Serve the vegetables raw
Vegetable Chicken Cutlet Side Dish Recipes
Now that you have some ideas for the style of vegetables you want, the question is which recipes do you use? Here is a list of recipes that are quick, easy and healthy. Any would make a good side for your chicken cutlets.
- Roasted potatoes with rosemary – Quick and easy, this side dish can be made in under an hour. Can be used with fresh or dried rosemary.
- Italian broccoli – This is the only way I enjoy broccoli – Italian style! You’ll enjoy it too with the chicken cutlets.
- Stuffed vegetarian zucchini boats – Zucchini can be a pretty drab vegetable unless you know how to use it right. Using these zucchini boats is a great way to infuse flavor and enjoyability!
- Broccolini – Not a fan of broccoli? No worries, try some broccolini and you’ll get lots of nutrition and greens to compliment the chicken cutlets!
- Italian Green Beans Recipe – Who doesn’t like real Italian green beans? Also called Roma beans, these beans are easy and delicious to make.
- Raw vegetable tray (purchase at store or create your own!)
Grilling Veggies for Chicken Cutlet Sides
If it’s summer and weather permitting, consider grilling some vegetables to go with your Italian cutlets. Specifically, Mediterranean raw vegetables make great chicken cutlet sides. Here are some ideas:
- Grilled zucchini
- Grilled eggplant
- Grilled peppers
- Grilled artichokes
Add Fruit to Your Chicken Cutlet Sides
Fruit is always appropriate anytime you serve fried foods. And it’s refreshing, healthy and takes very little time to prepare.
You can serve the fruit as a fruit platter or bowl, or incorporate the fruit into other side dish recipes. Here is a list of fruit that will go great on a fruit tray or in individual bowls for your guests to enjoy.
- Berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries…)
Pasta is Top of the List for Chicken Cutlet Sides
Pasta is frequently served as one of the most common side dishes for chicken cutlets. I’d recommend using long pasta such as spaghetti or angel hair with a simple marinara meatless sauce.
Serve the pasta in its own individual pasta bowl for guests and position the cutlets on top of the pasta. Your cutlets will always taste great when there’s sauce to dip or coat them in.
Add Salads to Your Chicken Cutlet Sides
Any type of salad will do when looking for a refreshing and bright side dish that will balance the heavier fried chicken.
Be creative with your salad choices, opting to present more than a simple green salad. Here are some different types of salads that make good sides for chicken cutlets. If you have your own ideas, you can share them in the comments below!
- Marinated mushrooms – These mushrooms can be served alone or with an antipasto tray. They are delightful and great as a warm or cold side dish.
- White bean salad – Enjoy a cannellini bean salad, full of protein and healthy ingredients.
- Antipasto salad – Chicken cutlets go great with antipasto. Use the antipasto as an appetizer or as a side dish.
- Italian potato salad – This simple potato salad uses olive oil and vinegar and no mayo!
- Italian caprese salad skewers (perfect for parties) – Have some creative fun with these caprese salad skewers. Quick and easy to prepare!
Include Bread with Your Chicken Cutlet Sides
If you want to keep to an Italian-themed meal, why not opt for some fresh baked garlic bread? When you try serving these sides with Italian chicken cutlets, then a touch of garlicky artisan bread is perfect, especially if you also include some hot pasta dishes.
And if you’re not concerned about an Italian-themed meal, then choose any type of artisan bread such as a French baguette (the kind you see at Panera). Bread is a good side dish, not just for the chicken cutlets, but also for the salad and pasta dishes, whether it’s an angel hair pasta salad or other salad.
You can also use focaccia, if you don’t know what focaccia is, it’s a flat bread made from pizza dough.
Mixed Mediterranean Olives as a Side Dish
Nothing says Mediterranean side dish like a bowl of mixed olives. You can purchase these online or at the grocery store. Make sure to choose a mix of olives that include green olives and Kalamata olives.
Keep in mind that not everyone is familiar with eating olives, so it’s important that you only serve olives that are pitted with the seeds removed.
These can be purchased in jars packed in an olive oil marinade or in water. Serve in small serving bowls before, during or after dinner.
Other Meats as Chicken Cutlet Sides
If you want to add some heartier and meatier side dishes to your meal that can go with your chicken cutlets sides, consider the following.
- Italian meatballs
- Roast beef sandwiches
- Italian subs
- Antipasto tray (purchased or homemade)
Tips for Planning Your Chicken Cutlet Sides
Here are some helpful tips to follow when deciding what sides go with chicken cutlets.
Not everyone will have the same culinary tastes
When looking for ideas for what to serve alongside your delicious crispy cutlets, it’s important to remember that not everyone has the same culinary preferences as you do. This is especially true for large get togethers where you may encounter guests that aren’t even fond of Italian or Mediterranean food.
Will any guests have food sensitivities?
In addition, you need to consider any food sensitivities that your guests may have. This may include gluten, nut, and dairy sensitivities.
Make sure to offer additional chicken cutlet side dishes that cater to these food sensitivities. Your guests will thank you.
Healthy Sides for Chicken Cutlets
Lastly, you may have some guests that are vegetarian and definitely won’t eat your cutlets. So beef up on the vegetables and other healthy alternatives so everyone will have side dishes they can fill up on.
I hope these ideas help you create a list of chicken cutlet sides that will please everyone.